Pages

10 February 2010

The Big Sandwich

As I mentioned in my menu post, this sandwich originally had a different name (something like  Muffuletta Po'Boy) and came from Southern Living. When I was young my mom always made one long sandwich on French bread and then cut it into individual portions. I originally made it that way too, hence the name "big sandwich." I now make it on sub rolls. 


Ingredients

1/3 cup mayonnaise
6 Sub Rolls
1/2 lb ham
1/4 lb salami
8 oz Mozzarella cheese, sliced
1 small can sliced ripe olives
sliced green olives

Directions
Set the oven to broil.

Slice sub rolls horizontally and set aside. Whisk together 1/3 cup mayonnaise and about a tablespoon of olive juice. (I don't actually measure when i do this. I put a blob of mayo in a bowl and then whisk in some olive juice until I like the consistency and taste of the dressing.)

Arrange bread on a cookie sheet, cut sides up.  Spread a thin coat of the mayo mixture on each piece of bread.  Put cheese slices on one half of each roll (I always put the cheese on the top halves, but i don't guess it matters).  On the other half of the roll layer the remaining ingredients.  I don't think the order really matters, but I do ham, green olives, salami, ripe olives.

Toast the sandwiches under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. (I really like a bit of char on the salami and for the cheese to get bubbly with little brown specks, but then I like "burnt" toast too.)

Match up the tops and the bottoms and serve with carrots or other crunchy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment