Pages

08 February 2010

Menu- 8 Feb

One of the first blogs I read regularly was Laura's Menu Plan Monday. Not only does she post her menu each Monday, but she provides a place for 300 plus other bloggers to link their menu posts.  I've decided, since I'm going to have a public blog anyway, it would be fun to participate.


Menu planning is something I've done basically since I started cooking.  (My mom made weekly menus when I was small.) I am constantly refining the way I do things. Recently I discovered the google calendar and have been using that as a meal-planning tool. One thing I love about the calendar is that I can set a dish to automatically repeat once a month. I picked about 15 dishes that our family likes and scattered them throughout the month. As I find dishes I want to try I make a note of those on the blank days. It is also really easy to move meals around if life gets in the way and something doesn't get made.

Here's what is on the menu for this week:
  • Big Sandwich This is one of those recipes which resides in my head. My mom made these sandwiches when I was small. I think they came from Southern Living.  I think the real name is something like Muffuletta Po'Boy; they're not real Muffulettas (no olive salad), but they're good.
  • Chicken Catch-a-tory Stew One of the responsibilities that the kiddos have the option of taking on each week is planning and cooking a meal. This is one of Princess Little's favourite things to cook. It is from Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals For Kids cookbook. 
  • Tuna Pockets Another one from my head. I think this one originated in Southern Living as well, but I can't find a link to it anywhere.  I'll try to write it up later in the week.
  • Stroganoff Love this recipe. I don't use 2 pounds of butter. I assumed that was a typo and just use a few tablespoons.
  •  Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole Take two. We had this last week and really liked it. I was worried it wouldn't have enough flavour, but it was good. We decided to tweak it anyway. This time I plan to add a can of rotel and maybe some pepper jack cheese to spice it up a bit.
  • Corned Beef Nil's favourite. I just follow the directions on the package. 
  • Chili Using a box of spices. Some day I'm going to get my dad to teach me how to make real chili.

     If you need menu ideas or are looking for a new recipe check out this week's menus at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

    3 comments:

    1. I have been trying to do a menu for each week, but my recipes get really old, really fast! Thanks for the ideas and links!

      ReplyDelete
    2. That lentil dish looks great!

      ReplyDelete
    3. What a yummy plan! I love those recipes "from the head" the most. Welcome to the MPM crew, although from the sound of things you are already well aquainted. Have a sweet "first" week!

      ReplyDelete